03/10/2011

Vegan MoFo day 3: Jamaican Ginger Cake

I have been playing with this recipe for a while now and by Jove! I've finally got it right. 

Jamaican Ginger Cake
makes 1 loaf

Ingredients
3 ripe bananas, mashed
half a cup of vegan butter
half a cup of dark brown sugar
quarter cup coconut milk
quarter cup treacle (molasses)
quarter cup golden syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 and a half inch piece of fresh ginger, minced (about 1 and a half Tablespoons)
1 and a half cups of self raising flour
half a teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon arrowroot
1 Tablespoon cornflour

For the drizzle
eighth of a cup of treacle 
eighth of a cup of golden syrup

Method
Heat the oven to 180 degrees (350 fahrenheit) and grease and line a loaf pan.
In a mixing bowl cream together the bananas, butter and sugar, use an electric mixer if you have one. Add the coconut milk, treacle, golden syrup and vanilla. Mix together really well.
Take another bowl and sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, arrowroot and cornflour then add this to the other bowl with the wet ingredients.
Stir really well then pour into your prepared loaf pan and bake in the middle of the oven for one hour.
Make holes in the top of the cake with a toothpick, heat together the treacle and syrup and pour over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.
Leave to cool.

GO VEGAN!
Go MoFo!

19 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

I used to love Jamaica Ginger cake, I will definitely be making this!

Tea and Sympatico said...

ooh yes please. I love Jamacian Ginger cake!

Betsy DiJulio said...

This is so different--a fresh take on banana bread. I love anything with coconut milk! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I love ginger in baked goods! this looks like it would be delicious slathered in vegan butter :)

Andrea said...

I think I can smell the gingery spiciness right off the page!

x said...

Oh yes, I would love this cake! Any baked goods with banana and ginger has to be a good thing :)

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I saw the word "ginger" and came running over here. This sounds great, and I'm definitely saving this recipe for later.

jessy said...

damn, Jeni - your jamaican ginger cake looks ridiculoulsy goooood. i'm gonna see if i can make a gluten-free version because i HAVE to make your cake and put it in my face! yay!

Catofstripes said...

What they all said, that looks really good. I'm going to try this one soon.

aimee said...

How fun is this?!

Johanna GGG said...

oh that looks so moist and dark and delicious - please be mine!

Nicola said...

OoOoo it looks so moist and luscious. You are one nifty cake maker

x

Kath said...

Yes! This looks so amazing, definitely trying this recipe out!

Cara said...

Aha! I found you!!! Your blog never links up to your comments I have been wondering for the past several days which blog is yours. Yay for being Sherlock Holmes! :) Oh and this cake sounds seriously divine. I love how you are gluten free too so you do all the hard work for me :)

Jen Treehugger said...

Hey Sherlock! I'm not gluten free though (and now I feel bad). I promise to post some gluten free recipes during MoFo though.

Cara said...

Well now you SHOULD feel bad! No wait, I should feel bad! Sometimes I get so excited about recipes that I impulsively react. I saw the arrowroot and corn flour and squealed with glee. What a dummie I am! haha. But This is an easy one to convert really so I shall be okay. Don't worry about little ol' me :) hehehe. Too dramatic? :)

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm a little slow...what's golden syrup? Maple syrup? Brown rice syrup? Am I totally off the mark?!

Jen Treehugger said...

veggiev - golden syrup is a pale treacle (molasses). Not sure what you'd call it but it's definitely not rice syrup or maple syrup. Here's a link to maybe clarify a bit more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_syrup

Let me know what you guys call it, I'm curious now.
:-)

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Did somebody say ginger? I'm there!