25/10/2011

Vegan MoFo Day 25 - Vegan Yorkshire Puddings

I have my Canadian buddy Felicity to thank for the heads up on these little beauties.
They say necessity is the mother of invention and it was necessity, or rather running out of regular flour to be more precise, that made me reach for the strong bread flour.
These came out AMAZING!
I will be using the bread flour to make Yorkshire Puddings from now on.

Yorkshire Puddings
makes 8
Ingredients
4 oz strong bread flour
1 heaped teaspoon chickpea flour
1 teaspoon salt
half a pint soya milk
Vegetable oil

Method
Mix the flour, chickpea flour and salt together in a bowl and gradually pour in the milk whisking really hard.
Put to one side and go about your business. Every 20 mins or so give the mixture another good whisking, do this about 6 or 7 times in the next couple of hours.
Preheat the oven to 230C (450F). Pour about a teaspoon of vegetable oil into each muffin pan hole and place in the oven for about 20 mins - the oil needs to be smoking! Seriously.
Whisk the mixture again and pour into the hot muffin tins, about two thirds of the way up. 
Return to the oven and cook for 20 minutes.
Don’t open the oven door to check them as the oven needs to stay really hot. If you need to turn the pan round just do it as quickly as possible without causing a serious accident.
These Yorkshires pop out of the tin really easily.
Serve alongside your usual roast dinner gubbings and lashings of gravy.
Deeeeee-lish

Not sure what a Yorkshire Pudding is? 
Check out the history here


And check out Cat's Yorkies too.

GO VEGAN!
Go MoFo!

12 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

Those look gooooood! I'd eat them all in a bowl covered in gravy!!

Mel said...

Wow, they look so delicious! I don't think I have eaten a Yorkshire pudding before but your post has made me believe that I need to try them. Bookmarked!

Anonymous said...

I have never had Yorkshire pudding but it sounds like something I need to make ASAP. I wish I could reach through the screen and grab the ones your picture :)

Amanda said...

Looks really interesting! I've never had Yorkshire Pudding, but have heard of it. However, I was picturing something completely different!

Johanna GGG said...

These look exciting - I love making nut roasts and these are just the sort of thing to serve with them but haven't had much luck with recipes I have tried - am I right in thinking they are like popovers in America?

Jen Treehugger said...

Ooooh GG - ya know I've never had a popover, I'm intrigued now....
<:-)

Zoa said...

Holy! I am Canadian and these were a fixture of my non-vegan childhood. I didn't think they could be made without eggs, but you have done it. Don't these look scrumptious!

Jes said...

I've never gotten to eat a Yorkshire pudding, but I definitely read about them alot in British books! The vegan ones look super yummy!

omgoshimvegan said...

Those look good. I've never had Yorkshire Pudding but now I want to give it a try.

eatme_delicious said...

I loooove yorkshire puddings and am so happy to see this vegan version!!

Anonymous said...

mmm, these look good.

x said...

They look great! I've never had a Yorkshire pud but I really want to give these a go!