05/10/2011

Vegan MoFo day 5 - Chocolate Orange Cashew Cheese Cake

HOLLER!!
I was inspired to make this by The Stripey Cat an AWESOME blog that I really LOVE reading and following. Take a look at her recipe here.
My only comments to add to this is that the oranges I used produced 150ml of juice and if you're microwaving the chocolate THE BOWL WILL BE BLOODY HOT! Serves me right for doing it the lazy way which 99.9% of the time I never do.
 
I don't have the same size cake tin (it's on my list) so I made a bigger one with less height.
I thought it would be nice to decorate with candied orange slices which were really easy to make and so pretty....but in all honesty I'd skip this next time (and there will be a next time) and just decorate with chocolate.

Candied Orange
Ingredients
1 and a half cups of water
half a cup granulated sugar
1 big orange sliced into quarter of an inch slices

Method
Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the orange slices and cook over a medium heat,for about 20 minutes, turning them a couple of times. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for another 10 minutes or so, until the syrup is thick and the slices are tender but still intact. Turn them a couple of times during this process.
Transfer the orange slices to a rack to cool, after about 2 minutes turn them over then after 5 minutessprinkle with granulated sugar on both sides.
These can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
Now excuse me while I go and fill mah face.


GO VEGAN!
Go MoFo!




16 comments:

celine said...

I'm seeing so many gorgeous cheesecakes lately that I feel I have no choice but to make one asap. yours looks so tempting!

Richa said...

oooh lovely cheesecake.. i think i am going to like mine with the candied orange..i love candied citrusy fruits!

Richa @ Hobby And More Food Blog

Caity said...

Oh my, this looks ridiculously yummy!

Every time I have ever microwaved to melt chocolate I have burned myself... Double boiler is always best, but I rarely think to actually use it! :S

Lisa Viger said...

Oh yeah, I'd ditch the orange slices in favor of more chocolate, too!

Amanda said...

Orange and chocolate go so well together! This recipe looks amazing.

Susan said...

This looks gorgeous!

x said...

I love cashew-based cheesecakes and yours looks gorgeous, Jeni!

Dawn said...

That looks gorgeous. I think I'd even like those candied oranges all by themselves! All aboard the chocolate orange train.

Jen Treehugger said...

Choo! Choo!
:-)

Thanks for all your lovely comments.

Anonymous said...

I haven't had cheesecake in forever. Yours looks sooo gooood, orange and chocolate are one of my favorite combos, now if this was chocolate and peanut butter I would have jumped though the screen.

Jen Treehugger said...

Watch this space Maggie Muggins
:-)

Kristi said...

Yum. That sounds fantastic. And I've decided the healthiness of the cashews overwrites the sugar, so it could be eaten all day long. :)

Veg-In-Training said...

Creamy deliciousness!

Nicole said...

Oh.My.Goodness. This looks so divine!

Niru said...

Love the idea of candied oranges. I can imagine such a cheesecake would just be exquisite with its orange-y flavors. Looks so beautiful!

Jen Treehugger said...

I wasn't keen on the candied orange slices, I'd make them again but about half the thickness next time.