07/10/2011

Vegan MoFo Day 7 - Vegan Cowboy Baked Beans

'Cos all good cowboys are vegan right?

Baked Beans
Serves 8
Ingredients
400g dried haricot or cannellini beans
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 red onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp dark muscovado sugar
3 Tbsp cider vinegar
480g can of plum tomatoes, smooshed up
150ml water

Method
Soak the beans overnight.
Drain and place in a pan, cover with fresh water and bring to the boil over a medium heat.
Cook for about 45 minutes-1 hour until tender.
Remove from heat and set aside for 30 minutes.
Drain well.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and cook for 6-8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another couple of mins then add the salt.
Stir in the sugar, vinegar, tomatoes, and water, then tip in the beans. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 1½-2 hours, stirring occasionally, until you have a thick sauce and tender beans.

Wearing of cowboy attire is entirely optional. 
These will be awesome on a jacket potato which is exactly how I intend to eat them tonight.
GO VEGAN!
Go MoFo!

8 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

Awesome! I love baked beans!

thevegandivision said...

I love baked beans and these look really good ;)
Maybe I'll try them tomorrow - with the cowboy attire of course!

GiGi said...

I just so happen to have some vegan chaps and vegan spurs in the closet. These here beanies are good enough to cook out west at that "thar campfar" accent intentional, attire necessary!Thanks for posting!

omgoshimvegan said...

I really should stop reading all of these blogs as I still haven't eaten.

These baked beans look great. Thanks for sharing.

x said...

I wish these were my breakfast right now! I've only made baked beans once using the V'Con recipe so now I have to try your recipe too!

Kelly said...

Baked beans! I haven't had any in months and months. These look super yummy.

Jen Treehugger said...

Thanks for all your rocking comments - you guys are the best.
:-)

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Baked beans really are the best!