01/10/2011

Vegan MoFo VI - And we're off! Day 1 - Roast Chickpea and Carrott Salad

Heeeeeere's Jeni!
It's that time of year again folks, the time when vegan bloggers around the globe try to crash the Google mothership by filling the blogosphere with awesome vegan food for the entire month of October.
This is my fourth year doing MoFo and regular readers will know just how much I freaking love participating.
For non regular readers; Where Ya Been??
Oh, and, I FREAKING LOVE Vegan MoFo!


Don't forget to check out the MoFo website where there are daily updates and give-aways galore.
You'll find me blogging there every Thursday too.

I've never had a MoFo theme before but this year I do..............................
ORANGE!

I will only blog about orange food for the entire month.

If I get to the end of October and look like the Tango Man then even better, that's my Halloween costume taken care of straight away!


But here are some interesting facts about orange food (and who said this blog wasn't informative huh!)

Did you know that most orange foods are high in anti-oxidants that help to destroy toxic cells and repair cellular damage?

Orange foods are thought to lower the risk of some types of cancers, improve vision, maintain a healthy heart, and contribute to a healthy immune system. Orange coloured foods contain varying amounts of anti-oxidants such as vitamin C as well as carotenoids and bioflavonoids.


Cool huh!


Today's recipe is Roast Chickpea and Carrot Salad. I feel a bit weird posting a salad recipe as my first MoFo post but this particular salad has been consumed by the bucket load in our house this summer and it's a bloody delicious recipe goddammit!


Roast Chickpea and Carrot Salad
serves 4


The best thing about this recipe is that if you want to add more or less of the ingredients that is totally fine!


Ingredients
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 jar/can of chickpeas, drained
1 cup frozen sweetcorn
half a cup diced red onion
salt
black pepper
2 large carrots, peeled


Method:
Heat your oven to 200 degrees. Pour the olive oil in a pan and heat in the hot oven for 2 mins. Add the chickpeas and sweetcorn and season with salt and pepper. 
Be aware of exploding chickpeas!
Toss.
Roast in the oven for ten minutes, then toss with a spoon and roast for another ten minutes.
Add the red onion and roast for another 10 minutes. 
Leave to cool slightly.


Using a vegetable peeler, peel the carrot into ribbons and place in a bowl. Season lightly.
When the chickpea mix is slightly cool, add to the carrot and toss really well. Check the seasoning and adjust to your preference. 
I always use lots of black pepper.
Serve.







GO VEGAN!
Go MoFo!



30 comments:

Erinwiko said...

I love your theme, can't wait to see where you go with it!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeni,
orange food for a WHOLE months - I'm looking forward to it. This salad looks really nice (and orangy ;)).

Susan said...

Yay for orange food! I cannot wear orange clothes with my colouring, but I sure can eat orange food.

I love the idea of peeling the carrots into ribbons - very pretty. :)

vegan.in.brighton said...

I love your orange theme. Genius!

Unknown said...

Love your theme too! And the rainbow "GO MOFO" at the end!! Def. need to eat more carrots... ^_^

Kath said...

Yummy! Looking forward to a very orangy month of good food!

Vic Robinson said...

Whoa! That looks great! Light and healthy! Very nice start to MoFo!

http://haymarket8.blogspot.com

Rose said...

Great theme! Sounds like fun. That salad is orangely delicious looking!

Leslie Richman said...

A month of orange sounds awesome!!!! Happy MoFo!!!

x said...

Hi Jeni! I love that your theme is orange, I can't wait to see all the orange coloured recipes you come up with!

jessy said...

Jeni!!! squeeeeeeeeeee! happy Vegan MoFo'n to you too, my friend! what a delicious 'n awesome way to rock out the first day of MoFo - totally gonna have to give your roast chickpea 'n carrot salad a go. it contains everything i love, how could i not?!?!

supercarrot said...

YAAAAYYYY!!!!!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Ha! This theme is great, Jeni!

Andrea said...

Orange you glad there are so many orange foods? Sorry, couldn't stop myself, though I tried. :)

K said...

So impressed with the theme, that looks great.

P.S: love the spiderman cake in the previous post.

Heather B said...

A whole month of orange food - impressive! I'll be interested to see what you come up with. :)

xvavaveganx said...

Happy MoFo! That salad looks great! Love the theme too, can't wait to see where you take it! :)

Anonymous said...

That looks absolutely delicious! Two of my favorite C's together, will be trying this one sometime! A month of orange sounds cool, I'll definitely keep an eye on you :)
Happy Vegan MoFo!

Lee said...

That salad looks and sounds awesome! I'm actually going to make it but I'll wait 'til Mofo is over.

Anonymous said...

YUM! Loving the plan for all orange food, and can't wait to try this salad. Roasted chickpeas are one of my favourite things and I haven't made them in forever. Thanks for the reminder!

Michelle said...

Hooray for VeganMoFo!! I'm excited for your orange color theme too. I loves me some orangey goodness!

Richa said...

awesome theme.. i am looking forward to all orange creations.. love them roast chickpeas anyday!

Richa @ http://hobbyandmore.blogspot.com

Happy Vieh Friends said...

I had a really orange carrot soup for dinner - looks like your theme is spreading around already. ;)

wingraclaire said...

Wow, that looks delicious!

I'd been so busy doing whatever I've been doing, I missed the mofo deadline. Whoops! Anyway, I don't always write about food. But I do look forward to reading what you post. I met you on vegan mofo!

Jen Treehugger said...

Susan - my colouring doesn't allow me to wear orange either, such a lovely bright happy colour as well.

*groans at Andrea's joke*

:-)

Thanks for all your lovely comments people.

Claire - Meeting people like you on the interwebz is the reason I keep doing MoFo! x x x

Johanna GGG said...

I had a laugh at your orange theme because I used to hate orange with a passion and now I have come to love it - even have orange kitchen chairs - and love pumpkin (there will be heaps of this on your posts no doubt) - and also love your giraffe at the side of your page! Hurrah for orange salad!

The PodPiper said...

I love the idea of having a theme.

janet @ the taste space said...

Way to go on having such an awesome theme... I just hope to be able to post a recipe every weekday. ;)

Veg-In-Training said...

Orange is a great theme color for halloween!

Anonymous said...

Loving the theme. I think you just might have your costume all set by the end of the month ;-)